More than meets the eye

Junior Sarah Harris, Spring Sing student assistant director, works on creating the cue book for the production.

It’s here! It’s finally here, and I’m so excited. No, I’m not talking about Spring Sing. I’m talking about the time where we’re putting the finishing touches on our spring edition of Harding magazine. But since you brought it up …

Campus is buzzing with exciting activity right now as Spring Sing weekend is in full throttle. With a few rehearsals and one performance in the bag, there are still three performances left, including the big finale announcing the winner Saturday night.

Spring Sing is an event so many people look forward to. Sitting in the audience, you see bright lights and shiny costumes, and you hear familiar songs with not-so-familiar lyrics. But there are things you don’t see, and the May Harding magazine features an up close view you won’t want to miss.

In preparation of our coverage, I took a trip across campus to Benson Auditorium with University photographer Jeff Montgomery to shoot photos for the feature. As I stepped on the stage, I imagined what it might feel like to be in the middle of all the Spring Sing energy. I felt heat on my face from all the lights pointed at the stage. I stepped up onto the curved platforms that had been built, and I wondered how people are able to move around at an angle like this.

When we arrived at the Benson, I met junior Sarah Harris, student assistant director for Spring Sing. She was working on the cue book, a detailed, step-by-step, instructional manual that lists every single technical action that needs to happen at just the right time during this three-hour production. Starting with nothing, there’s so much that goes into creating a show with lights, music, costumes, choreography, a hundred fellow classmates, and all the typical Spring Sing elements.

You can find our feature on “Spring Sing Up Close” in the May Harding magazine. There’s so much more to it than the incredible productions we see on stage.

Hannah Beall Owens, news director

Tags: ,