Where in the world: Janet Jones

Name: Janet Jones
Classification: Sophomore
Major: Drama/speech with teaching certification
Hometown: Nashville, Tennessee
Studying at: HUF

11120962_10153372430392071_920229950_n

HU: What is your current location?
JJ: Florence, Italy

HU: What is your favorite part about living there?
JJ: Italian culture! Everything is so different, and I love learning new things.

HU: What is it like living in a 16th-century Italian villa?
JJ: It’s very interesting living here. My family renovates houses on the side, so I love seeing the different configurations of the villa. My favorite part about the villa is that there is so much to do here. There are so many rooms where people can chill, watch a movie, play games, etc.

HU: What was going through your mind when you first walked up that famous hill and saw where you would be living for the summer?
JJ: I was in awe. I couldn’t believe that I was living in this amazing country for the next three months. I’m still in shock that I am living in this amazing place with such an incredible view.

HU: Where in the villa do you most like to hang out and why?
JJ: I like to hang out outside. We have a court to play volleyball/basketball, and we have a giant table and two couch swings. We do homework outside when the weather is nice, and we play volleyball at night. It’s so much fun to bond with people.

HU: What do mealtimes in the villa look like?
JJ: I have yet to have a meal here that I haven’t liked. We have several options, usually with a form of pasta, some meat, fruit, bread and Nutella. We are very well fed here! Everyone sits in the same room with six long tables. At the beginning, the tables were numbered and we would each draw a number out of a bowl with a number on it. We got to eat with a different combination of people every meal. It was so much fun getting to know everyone that way.

HU: What are you most looking forward to during the semester?
JJ: I am really looking forward to free travel! I just came back from the Milan Expo yesterday, and I got to see many other countries’ cultures. It makes me that much more excited to go with my friends to the countries I have been dreaming about since I was little.

Stay tuned for more profiles on students as they experience the opportunity Harding provides in unique cultures and extraordinary sites at the University’s international programs.

Tags: ,