Alumni reminisce on club week

906034_10207470114378210_1836783066368154615_o

Club week is over, and many students probably spent their weekend catching up on sleep and basking in the excitement of becoming an official member of a social club. Throughout the week, we shared photos from previous club weeks on social media, and alumni bonded over shared experiences and memories of forming bonds of brotherhood and sisterhood.

“Participating in a social club enriched my Harding experience by providing an avenue to build strong, lasting friendships that only grew stronger the further I went along in school,” Chris Quattlebaum (’11) said. “I was able to create friendships with not only those who I pledged with but also with the older members of TNT.”

Quattlebaum said that even to this day, there are moments he thinks back on during club week that remind him how much he enjoyed the experience.

“The thing I value the most about my social club participation is the friendships that I was able to form,” he said. “These are lifelong relationships and don’t just end once you graduate. Ten other guys from my pledge class and I still get together a couple times each year for a little reunion weekend. We update each other on our lives, tell the stories from our time in college that we always tell when we get together, and end up laughing the entire weekend.”

Jennifer Gibson (’10) was a charter member of Zeta Pi Zeta in 2009 and said she really enjoyed the unique perspective that starting a new club gave her.

“The process allowed us to work through problems and see the club process from another angle,” she said. “We got to be creative and come up with something that was ours.”

Her advice to new club members is to jump in and be involved in as many activities as possible.

“Do Spring Sing, play sports, go to functions, or serve as an officer,” she said. “You pledged and did a lot of work to become part of a family. You need to take advantage of that family and do some fun stuff with them.”

For many people, relationships that are made at Harding don’t stop after graduation. They carry on throughout a lifetime, and many of those relationships begin with a week of silly outfits, cheering until you lose your voice, and learning about traditions.

“What people need to know is, that, once you get off Harding’s campus, your club experience isn’t over,” Quattlebaum said. “The lifelong relationships that you form with people in your club during your time at Harding will continue. I hope that everyone will be able to look back on their time in their respective clubs with fond memories and friends who last a lifetime.”

Hannah Owens, director of news services 

Tags: ,