For the month of December, we’ll be sharing a holiday recipe each Friday as a part of our “HU How To” series. Today, Cindy Hunter, executive assistant to the president, shares her mother’s sweet potato casserole recipe.
“My mom died expectantly in her sleep on Dec. 21, 2013,” Hunter said. “She always made chicken and dressing and sweet potato casserole for the holidays. Since her death, I have carried that on and now make those two dishes plus what I typically make.”
- 4 cups sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Put sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan with water to cover. Cook over medium high heat until tender; drain and mash.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, white sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse. Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly brown.
Tags: How to