Basketball seniors look back

2015-134-8298

At Thursday night’s men’s and women’s basketball games, the graduating Bisons and Lady Bison will be recognized for their dedication and skills. Here’s what some had to say about their time on the team.

Kaylee Wiedower, senior accounting major and guard from Russellville, Arkansas

Favorite part about being on the team: All of the relationships that are made. I have made lifelong friendships with my teammates from my freshman year to my senior year. I would trust these girls with my life. All of us have gone through so much together — good and bad — that has brought us closer together. There is just something about suffering together that brings people closer. I also have developed relationships with faculty and people in the community who are just huge Lady Bison fans, and they definitely take care of us. I have been extremely blessed to be a part of such a great community that supports our team so much.
Favorite memory: Definitely when we won the conference tournament in Bartlesville [Oklahoma] last year and advanced to the NCAA tournament. It was such a great feeling to see all of our hard work pay off. In those moments you realize that all of the long, hard practices and early morning track workouts were worth it.
Advice or encouragement she would give the team: Enjoy it while you can because it goes by so fast. It is hard to believe that I’m almost done with basketball; it seems like yesterday I was just a freshman. I would also tell them not to take this experience for granted. Not everyone gets the opportunity to play college basketball, and they should take full advantage of this.

Antoine Burrell, senior finance major and forward from The Colony, Texas

Favorite part about being on the team: Winning the conference tournament my sophomore year and going to the NCAA tournament.
Favorite memory:
Climbing Pinnacle for the first time and just hanging out at the lake with the team
Advice or encouragement he would give the team: Your time here goes by so fast. You blink, and your college experience is over. Make the most of every practice, and live in the moment because it is limited.

Dawson Yates, senior health and kinesiology major and guard from Valley Springs, Arkansas

Favorite part about being on the team: Being surrounded by lifelong friends and coached by Christian role models. I have been blessed with an opportunity to grow as a young man through the accountability of my teammates and the daily examples and expectations that the coaches uphold for themselves and for us on and off the court.
Favorite memory: When Coach [Jeff Morgan] got his 400th win. The locker room was so hyped that he and Gib [Jacob Gibson] chest bumped. It was a surreal moment.
Advice or encouragement he would give the team: Basketball has been a light throughout our lives, so extend this instrument we have been given to everyone we come in contact with. Continue to love the process and cherish each moment. These temporary trials and tribulations we face will help us strive and succeed throughout the rest of this life. You will always be in my heart.

Blake McNair, senior health and kinesiology major and guard from Harrison, Arkansas

Favorite part about being on the team: The relationships that I have built over the past five years. The one thing that will always remain with me and I’ll cherish most are the friendships I have made.
Favorite memory: Winning the Great American Conference Tournament Championship back in the 2013-14 season. Hopefully we can add more memories in this year’s tournament.
Advice or encouragement he would give the team: Enjoy every single moment you have together playing the game that you love. Before you know it, you will be seniors, too, and will wonder where the time has gone.

— Jennifer Hannigan, copy editor/writer

Tags: