#tjhjk16

If you follow anyone on the Harding magazine staff or in the public relations office on Instagram, you may have seen #tjhjk16 used a lot this summer. On June 7, Tim Cox, Jennifer Hannigan, Jeff Montgomery, Kelly Brackett and I began an office photo challenge. The hashtag is made up of the first letter of our first names. Each week, a new person picks a theme for the photos of the week. It’s been a great way to stretch our creative muscles during the slower-paced summertime, and I’ve really enjoyed seeing our different perspectives on each week’s theme. Here are our favorite photos from a week in which we each chose the theme.

Week 1: Curves

"I had been looking up photo challenges to help me get better at photography and found one that was based on curves. I liked the idea of the many directions that I and everyone could go with that to think outside the box, or wheel that is." -Tim Cox

“I had been looking up photo challenges to help me get better at photography and found one that was based on curves. I liked the idea of the many directions that I and everyone could go with that to think outside the box, or wheel that is.” -Tim Cox, graphic designer

Week 2: Texture

"When I picked the theme of texture, I knew I wanted to get this picture. I love the contrasting textures between the bricks and hydrangeas by Brackett Library. Since I'm just an iPhone photographer who mainly focuses on taking pictures of my kids, texture seemed like a good way to look for different subjects without being too overwhelming." -Jennifer Hannigan

“When I picked the theme of texture, I knew I wanted to get this picture. I love the contrasting textures between the bricks and hydrangeas by Brackett Library. Since I’m just an iPhone photographer who mainly focuses on taking pictures of my kids, texture seemed like a good way to look for different subjects without being too overwhelming.” -Jennifer Hannigan, copy editor/writer

Week 3: Joy

"The more joy you look for in your life, the more you find it. What gives you joy? What do you do to bring others joy? This week, I wanted to practice actively seeking joy in my life while also finding that emotion with my eyes." -Hannah Owens

“The more joy you look for in your life, the more you find it. What gives you joy? What do you do to bring others joy? This week, I wanted to practice actively seeking joy in my life while also finding that emotion with my eyes.” -Hannah Owens, director of digital media

Week 4: Black and white

"This week I picked B&W as the theme. B&W is much bigger than just converting an image to monochrome with a filter or an editing app. Well done B&W requires attention to lighting and specifically shadows and contrast." -Jeff Montgomery

“This week I picked B&W as the theme. B&W is much bigger than just converting an image to monochrome with a filter or an editing app. Well done B&W requires attention to lighting and specifically shadows and contrast.” -Jeff Montgomery, director of photography

Week 5: America

FullSizeRender-3

“Picking “America!” as the theme for the week was a natural decision, as I consider myself fiercely patriotic, and Independence Day happened to fall on Monday of my week. My favorite photo is of historic Smyrna Methodist Church, built in 1854. It is the oldest church building in Arkansas, and to me represents generations of people freely worshiping their God.” -Kelly Brackett, secretary

We’re circling back around on taking turns choosing photos for the week, and each photo we take gets better and better. Follow along with us for the rest of the summer, and see all of the moments we’ve captured so far: #tjhjk16 photos.

-Hannah Owens, director of digital media