Beating the summer heat

Having been raised in Arkansas my entire life, you’d think by now I would be used to the extreme heat and humidity that engulf our rural southern state each summer. But whenever June rolls around, I always seem to find myself in need of one of those hand-held portable fans with a cool mist sprayer. Being just two weeks away from my third trimester of pregnancy means that I am feeling the heat even more so than usual, and it doesn’t help that we are seeing record June highs in Arkansas this year.

The first official day of summer is not until the 21st of this month, but you’d think we were in the middle of July already. Air conditioners across campus are running in full force, and on any given day, you might see someone dangling their feet — or even sitting — in the fountain in front of the Administration Building. The cool, refreshing waters are just irresistible to the many students on campus for sports camps, Uplift, National Leadership Forum and other programs.

There are a variety of ways to stay cool in Searcy this summer with many snow cone stands — an Arkansas summer staple — across the city and FroYo Factory frozen yogurt, which opened on Race Street last year. And don’t forget the Harding indoor pool if you’re a faculty or staff member, student, or Black and Gold member. Call the Ganus Athletic Center at 501-279-4782 for summer hours.

Heather Williams, writer