Tomorrow will worry about itself

Worry photo.2016-010-4977If I could go back, the one thing I would want to reassure myself in college is a phrase I truly believe: “God’s got this.”

I came to Harding from western Pennsylvania extremely ready for new beginnings in a Christian environment. I found I wasn’t as ready as I thought. Homesickness and a heavy class schedule soon had me bogged down. My first trip home at Christmas finally came, and my house and family never looked better to me.

The trip back for spring semester arrived all too quickly, and before I knew it, I had had enough and wanted to quit. A rare long-distance call to my mom left her reminding me of the reassurance from Matthew 6 where Jesus tells us not to worry but to seek his kingdom and righteousness, and everything we need will be given to us.

Those words eventually sunk in. When I quit worrying about what I could handle and let him handle things, my semester got so much better. That was followed by three wonderful underclassmen years here.

Today, when the burdens get heavy and despair sets in, I know it is because I’m not turning it over to the one who can ease the way. When it comes to my earthly concerns, he’s truly “got this.”

Now if I just had the faith to put this in practice all the time.

Tom Buterbaugh, editor/designer